ACPM 117: Water Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) course
Africa Center for Project Management is pleased to announce a Certificate Course in Water Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) course Online and Distance Learning Course, which starts 1st of every month
According to the latest estimates of the WHO/UNICEF Joint Monitoring Programme for Water Supply and Sanitation (JMP), released in early 2013 (collected in 2011), 36 per cent of the world’s population – 2.5 billion people – lack improved sanitation facilities, and 768 million people still use unsafe drinking water sources. Inadequate access to safe water and sanitation services, coupled with poor hygiene practices, kills and sickens thousands of children every day, and leads to impoverishment and diminished opportunities for thousands more.
The course provides an understanding of WASH in the context of wider public health challenges and illustrates the practical interventions necessary to deliver on health and wider development/emergency needs.
By the end of this course, a student assessed as competent against this qualification will be able to:
- Understand public health and appreciate the current and future disease burden in developing countries
- Correlate WASH and Environmental Health with Public Health (including nutrition) in the context of community development
- Understand the practicalities around community water supply, waste management (including drainage), and related environmental health issues for effective community hygiene promotion
- Examine indicators of performance in WASH and wider environmental health
- Introduction to Public Health Definitions and Concepts
- Global Disease Burden: A Review of Key Health Determinants – The Case of Developing Countries.
- Assessing Public Health Priorities in Emergency and Development Settings
- Effectiveness of WASH Interventions: The Evidence Base
- Direct Water Supply Interventions
- Types of Water Sources
- Water Source Protection
- Determining Water Quantity, Quality and Accessibility
- Rural and Urban Communities Sanitation Management
- Types of Wastes
- Waste Management
- Effective Community Hygiene
- Understanding Social Behaviour Change
- Key Community Hygiene Behaviors
- Sustainable Community Health/Hygiene: Mechanisms for Delivery and Measurement
- Typical WASH Aspects:
- Vector Control (Mosquitoes and other Flies)
- Housing and Settlement Planning
- Controlling Indoor Air Pollution.
- WASH Performance and Impact Measurement.
Africa Center for Project Management was established in 2004 in Amsterdam with the Africa regional offices in Nairobi. The organization was formed to address capacity building needs among development and corporate organizations in Africa and Asia by offering Online Certificates and In-House trainings. The organization has over ten years experience working with development partners in capacity building in. We have trained over 5000 development and Business Professionals in various thematic areas.
Participants will need to use email, upload and download word docs,
PowerPoint files and PDFs, and post on the discussion board or send assignments by email. If you do not have internet speed sufficient to download materials, an offline DVD or hard copies course may be the right alternative for you. Materials Provided: Online delivery of curriculum materials, exercises and templates.
After they have read the material for each unit, students are expected to test their own Learning by completing some relevant exercises and tasks.
In order to demonstrate their understanding of the course content, students will be required to submit three assignments.
DURATION AND COURSE LOAD: 8 Weeks - 5 to 6 hours per week
DATES: (Two Months) Course Starts 1st of Every Month.
PARTICIPANTS: Development Professionals
REGIONS TARGETED: Global
COURSE FEE: $500
ORGANIZERS: Africa Center for Project Management
LANGUAGE: English only
FORMAT: Web-based and Distance Learning facilitated
GENERAL COURSE CONTACT: email@example.com